Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Owls Are Birds Of Prey!


I went out to investigate a significant "thump" on our window and found this little guy stunned on the deck. He's a pygmy owl, probably not as tall as the length of my hand.


Only problem -- he was lying face down, and I saw his grey speckled back and wings and thought common flicker. I picked him up to see how injured he was -- and he sunk his talons into my thumb. They are sharp, strong, and very curved --they go deep, and they're hard to pull out. I have no questions about how they catch their prey!

2 comments:

Trav said...

Ouch! Sorry about your thumb! Cool looking little guy, though. Did he fly off eventually?

Anonymous said...

when Conor showed me the owl it
was lying down then SUPRISE the owl
jumped up then scared me & Conor
back into the house


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH